Own a Piece of California State History All of our wood is clear all heart salvaged old growth redwood. This salvaged sunken redwood has ax-shaved ends, meaning it was cut before the late-1800s. Originallyharvested between 1850 and 1910, this redwood falls into three distinct time periods: 1) A V-shape or "beaver-cut" meant that a log was felled with an axe between 1850 and 1876, when the labor- and time-saving raker-tooth saw was invented. 2) Logs cut with a saw and dragged to the river by mules or oxen were first shaved or edged around their circumference to prevent snagging. Learn more...
Local Craftsmen for Your Finishing TouchWe have an excellent relationship with the master craftsmen and fine woodworkers in and around Mendocino. These experts can work directly with you or your agent in developing that just right look with our beautifully colored salvaged redwood. We know old growth redwood and what it can do. We hand select every piece of wood we sell, and we absolutely guarantee its quality. At Redwood Salvage Sales we custom mill to any specifications you define in vertical, flat or mixed grains, and ship directly to your home. We can ship domestic and internationally. Learn more...
Brewery Gulch InnGourmet Magazine (August, 2002) said, "this stylish new hotel sets a SoHo standard for design..." Wine Enthusiast (March, 2003) said that, partly due to this wood, the inn is "A masterpiece of style and design." Sky Magazine (Delta Airlines) wrote in June, 2003, that ...."wood connoisseur Ciancutti used the wood as lavish trim, a worthy tribute to those ancient trees." Learn more....
Myrtlewood AvailableAll-burl Myrtlewood is available here at Redwood Salvage Sales. We have Myrtelwood slabs 2-1/4" to 3-1/4", all 10' long, up to 44" wide, all book-matched. Air-dried 6 years indoors. One of a kind pieces. Some beautiful furnishings and items have been created by our local craftsmen..
Green Benefits and Durability of RedwoodRedwood repels termites and its ability to resist rot enables it to last for generations—supurb green architect resources for your green dream home! Learn more...
How Good and Green Redwood Really Is
Redwood repels termites and its ability to resist rot enables it to last for generations—supurb green architect resources for your green dream home! One of the most dimensionally stable of western softwoods, redwood is not prone to checking or splitting, therefore is less damaged by weathering. Redwood is decay-resistant in all heartwood grades, so heartwood can be used near the ground. Redwood is more insect repellant in all-heartwood grades than any other softwoods, yet it is lightweight.
Although one of the lightest of softwoods, redwood provides adequate strength for many uses, as well as superior insulation values. Redwoods minute cell structure, with thousands of air filled cavities, enables redwoods thermal insulation values. Redwood is easily machined, easy to saw, nail, glue, and has superior finish-holding ability. Redwood is known for its easy maintenance and beautiful color. Redwood is often used where high moisture levels are a problem with other types of wood.
Within our Web site we have a brochure library of Redwood Idea Resources; with numerous ideas including project plans...from "living green" to exterior finishes, and many do-it-yourself projects. Find out what California Redwood can do for you!
Old growth Redwood for Restorations, Remodeling, New Construction
Many of the furniture makers and joiners who helped us build Brewery Gulch Inn are now working with us here. We can join pieces for your table tops or make the furniture for you.
We also make custom mouldings for those one-of-a-kind restoration projects of historic redwood homes.
Speaking of "green," here's some more resources that can inspire your "green" ideas:
- Energy Star: The official government site on Energy Star products, home improvement, buildings, plants and more.
- Green Home Improvement Tips: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, lighting, refrigeration and cooking are responsible for 41.5% of a home's energy consumption, making a kitchen remodeling project one of the most important upgrades to a home. To maximize your investment dollars here are easy tips to can make your kitchen renovation a little simpler.
- Environmentally Efficient Landscaping: Many homeowners have been upgrading their lighting, hot water heaters, and plumbing fixtures. The exterior of the home, in particular the landscaping, is often neglected.
- New California Attic Ventilation Codes: California recently passed new Attic Ventilation Codes for resisting the intrusion of flames and embers into the home. This new law requires application to the new code requirements only if the rafters are exposed at the time of re-roofing. However, to better safeguard any home or business, upgrading your vents can help to save your building during a wildfire. Use Brandguard Vents for residential and commercial buildings to meet the new flame and ember resistant requirements.
- National Center for Healthy Housing: Green and healthy housing resources.
- Efficient Energy and Renewable Energy: The U.S. Department of Energy Building Technologies Program.
- A Sourcebook for Green and Sustainable Building: Sustainable Sources celebrating 16 years of online green building information.
Unrivaled Shades of Color
Sinker wood is unique in its colors and grains, from deep rich purples through rich red and rosewood tints, also blond, burgundy and cinnamon brown, as shown in the pictures on this site. The result of more than 135 years in the mineral-rich water of Big River, this redwood is extraordinarily beautiful, with its tight grain and unusual variegated shades. Paneling and wainscoting is a popular use of sinker wood because of its unusual coloring. (The background image in this section is Redwood Burl.)
Old Growth Split Rails
| Old Growth